Skip to content


Am I required to go through the Office of International Programs?
Yes! You must apply for acceptance into one of Mercer's pre-approved programs through the Office of International Programs in order to ensure appropriate academic credit is given. The Office of International Programs will assist you with your program before, during, and after your international experience.

Do I need to get my academic advisor's approval?
Yes! You must get approval for study abroad courses prior to your departure. Any course changes or additional classes taken abroad must have your academic advisor's permission. It is your responsibility to contact your academic advisor and the Office of International Programs.

What if I want to change my courses after I am abroad?
Participants are not permitted to drop or withdraw from courses associated with a study abroad program unless approved by the Office of International Programs.

Do I need to get from the Department of Foreign Languages if I intend to earn Chinese, French, German, or Spanish credit toward a language requirement? 
Yes! You must get permission from the Department of Foreign Languages if you intend to earn academic credit toward a language major or minor. 

What if I want to enroll into a program that is not pre-approved by Mercer University?
Visit the Office of International Programs. Generally students can arrange to study on a transient basis at accredited institutions abroad if there is enough time to investigate the organization and arrange for course approval. Students interested in working with a school or organization that is not already affiliated with Mercer must discuss this with the Office of Study Abroad at least three semesters before the intended semester abroad.

What do I need to do about Mercer course registration while abroad?
Students register for their courses via MyMercer while abroad.  Students are advised to plan the next semester's course load at Mercer with their academic advisor before leaving. If problems with registration arise, students may contact the Office of International Programs for assistance. 

How do I secure next semester's housing on the Macon campus?
Students are responsible for working out housing issues with residence life before going abroad. Students will need to submit the appropriate forms to residence life during the semester that they are abroad. The Office of International Programs will assist students when possible.

Can I get financial aid for study abroad?
Students who qualify for financial aid may apply financial aid to an appropriate study abroad program. Students seeking financial aid will need to make an appointment with a financial planning counselor on campus. Several study abroad programs also offer financial aid.

Can the Office of International Programs arrange financial aid for me?
No. Due to privacy laws, only students can discuss personal matters of financial aid with their financial planning counselors. However, the Office of International Programs will send the Office of Financial Planning a budget that outlines study abroad program costs and fees as well as other associated expenses, which will help students and their counselors, plan their overseas experience.

What about COVID?
All participants of Mercer University approved international travel must submit documentation of full Covid-19 vaccination before the travel departure date in order to receive funding or academic credit for the approved travel. Questions regarding this policy may be directed to